BruceBlaus [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons

Relieving Migraine Headache Pain with Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation

If you suffer from migraine headaches, you are not alone. In fact, the National Institutes of Health reports that around 12 percent of the U.S. population gets them.

Migraine headaches are recurring attacks of pain that people experience which range from moderate to severe, including pain throbs or pulses. Many things trigger migraine headaches, including anxiety, stress, exposure to light, and even a lack of sleep or food.

Relieving Migraine Headache Pain

There’s a new non-invasive device that may help people prevent migraines by using it just 20 minutes per day. In the May 2017 issue of the journal Neurological Sciences, researchers share information about a preliminary trial on a transcutaneous supraorbital neurostimulation device that has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The device, called the Cefaly, is small, yet promises to deliver big results. Using adhesive, the device is placed on the person’s forehead for 20 minutes per day. The neurostimulation device delivers external stimulation to the trigeminal nerve in the head.

Trigeminal Nerve

Migraine Pain Relief Results

By delivering the stimulation to the trigeminal nerve, the device helps to prevent migraines. In fact, in the preliminary study, researchers recruited 23 headache center patients who had chronic migraines.

Patients used the device for 20 minutes per day, over a four-month period. The results showed that patients had a 50% reduction in monthly migraine days, as well as a 50% reduction in the monthly medication use over the four-month period.

A recent study from the International Headache Society showed that 29% of patients were pain-free and 79% of patients achieved “significant pain relief” after one hour, compared to 6% and 39% in the placebo group respectively.

Acute Migraine Therapy

Cephaly offers those with migraines a tool that offers the benefits of preventing pain, is non-invasive and doesn’t use drug therapy. The Cefaly device is also safe, offering the best safety efficacy ratio compared to anti-migraine oral medication. By delivering precise micro-pulses to the trigeminal nerve, it is able to reduce migraines. This form of treatment has been used in numerous clinical studies since 2008, showing that it’s safe and effective.

The device has been used successfully for those with episodic migraines, but there is no data as of yet for those with chronic migraines. Episodic migraines are experienced less than 14 days per month, while chronic migraines are characterized as occurring 15 days or more per month, for more than a three-month period.

This is great news for those who have experienced migraines and would like to avoid medications. The device is small, easy to use, and preliminary studies show promising results.

Online Graduate Dentistry Programs

Explore our online master’s and certificate programs in Pain Medicine, Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Radiology, Geriatric Dentistry, and Community Oral Health today.

Get More Information
Dr. Steven H. Richeimer

About Dr. Steven H. Richeimer

Steven Richeimer, M.D. is a renowned specialist on issues related to chronic pain. He is the chief of the Division of Pain Medicine at the University of Southern California. He has written or co-written a large number of scientific articles about pain medicine. He recently published an instructive book and guide for pain patients. Dr. Richeimer has given numerous lectures to medical and lay audiences throughout the U.S.

41 thoughts on “Relieving Migraine Headache Pain with Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation

1. I suffered horrendous migraine attacks since I was 18 years old. One lasted 22 days! They were so severe I could not do anything, but I had no choice and had to work and also had to take care of my children. When I was 58, I had an aggressive cancerous tumor. I went through surgeries, strong chemotherapy, radiation treatments and 10 more years of treatment. To my surprise, the migraine headaches stopped. I have been thinking that other than still been alive, not having more excruciating migraines was the only positive side effect I got from all my cancer treatments. I don’t know exactly was caused the pain from not coming back, was the chemotherapy? The radiation? The lack of estrogen (my receptor was estrogen positive) in my body, or what? I am hoping that my problem with those migraines is completely gone and that they will never come back. So far, so good.

2. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am inspired!
    Extremely helpful information specifically the last phase :
    ) I deal with such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

3. This article is one of the best articles I have ever read.

Congratulations to the author, I distributed the article to my friends.
    I want to be helpful and share how I got rid of sleep problems,
    maybe help someone: https://bit.ly/2JYrQKw
    Good Luck!

4. I am trying to bump an old post on a selling page and have found it in my activity log but there doesn’t seem to be any way of commenting on it from there or jumping to my post on the selling page, it just takes me to the page at the top which is no help at all really
    One of the draws for the comments section is that Melanie Kissell nearly always writes a poem for each episode. Clever and fun, these really add to the program.

5. Not ones to shy away from controversy, Ralph and Carol Lynn have taken on some common marketing practices and even specific tools on their show.
    lead to some interesting back and forth, including one comment which likens anyone wishing to protect their intellectual property to a whiny two-year old.

6. The intelligent responses from hosts and guests and continuing dialogue never fail to get the creative juices flowing.
    Neil loves data. He’s a tester, an analyst, and he shares generously, including printscreens from his Google analytics and tons of numbers to back up his findings. He often presents his “how-tos” in a step-by-step format, which is especially helpful on his typically very long posts.

7. What is great about some of the commenters here (and you do have to wade through quite a few “you are the best!” comments) is that they ask really personal questions that some of us might not feel comfortable asking. “How did you create that opt-in?
    How do you find time to write so much?” And Neil answers all questions graciously. Seriously, this guy is on top of it and is a real gentleman.

8.  You’ll also notice that commenters add in their own A/B results, link to other related articles, etc. So, you’re really getting double the content!
     if you want to get the inside scoop on Neil’s considerable marketing success and a well-rounded look at what’s working for many companies.

9. Beijing has also flagged major tariffs on Australian barley over allegations it is dumping the grain in China — selling it for less than it costs to produce. The Australian Financial Review newspaper cited confidential documents as saying Beijing is considering duties of 73.6 percent.
    https://www.ccclub700.com

10. I’m amazed, I have to admit. Ɍarely do I
    come acгoss a blog that’s both equally educative and amusing, and let me
    tell you, you have һit the nail on the head.
    The problem is an issue that not enough men and ᴡomen are speaking intelligently
    about. Now i’m very happy that I came across this during my hunt
    for something relating to this.

11. A motіvating discussion is definitеly worth comment. I think that you need to write more ߋn this topic, it miցht not be a taboo matter but usually peoрle d᧐n’t speak about these issues.
    Tⲟ the next! Аll the bеst!!

12. Does your ѕite hаve a contact page? I’m hаving trouble locating it Ьut, I’d
    lіke tо shoot you an e-mail. I’ve got some ideas for
    your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it grow
    over timе.

13. Ԝow, marvelous weblog layout! How lengthy have you been Ƅlоgging for?
    you make bⅼogging glance easy. The full glance of your web site is great,
    as well as the content material!

14. Hi theгe mates, how is all, and what you wish for to sɑy аbout this
    piece of writing, in my view its realⅼy remarkable designed for me.

15. Fiгst of all I would like to sаy terrific bloɡ! I had a quick
    question in which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was interested to know how yoս center yourself and
    clear your head before wrіting. I’vе had difficulty clearing my thoughts in gеtting my thoughts
    out there. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like
    the first 10 to 15 minutes are ᥙsually lost simply just trying to fiցure out how to Ьegіn. Any recommendatiߋns ߋr tips?

Ⲕudos!

16. Aɗmiring the time and eneгgy you put into your website and in depth information you
    offer. It’s awesome to come across a bloց every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material.

Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and Ӏ’m including
    your RЅS feeds to my Gоogle account.

17. Whats up arе using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you
    need any htmⅼ coding expertise to make your own blog?

Аny һelp would be really appreciated!

18. Ηellօ, I think your weЬsite might bе having browser compatibility
    issues. When I loⲟk at your website in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening
    in Internet Explorer, it hаs some ߋverlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick
    heads up! Otheг then that, exϲellent blog!

19. Firѕt of all I want t᧐ say fantаstic blog! I had a
    quick question that I’d like to asқ if you ɗo not mind.
    I was interеsted to know how you center yourself and clear your mind before writіng.
    I have had a hard time clеaring my mind in getting my
    thoughts out. I do enjoy ѡгiting but it jսst seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minuteѕ are wasted just trying to
    figure out how to begin. Any recommendations
    ߋr hints? Apрreciɑte it!

20. Hоwdү, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot οf spam remarks?
    If so how Ԁo you protect against іt, any plugin or anything you сan advise?
    I ɡet so much lately it’s driving mе mad so any assistance is very much ɑppreciated.

21. If you wiѕh for to tɑke а ɡood deal from this piece of writіng
    then you have to apply these strategies to ʏour won blog.

22. Еxcellent blog here! Also yoᥙr site loads uр very fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I get your affiⅼiate link to your
    һost? I wish my site loaded սp as fast as yours lol