International Students – Continue Your Dental Education Online

We know how challenging enrolling in degree programs can be for international students. The time, cost, and relocation fees can feel more like an obstacle than an opportunity. That’s one reason why the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry developed an online program: so international students like you can study with ease at home and prepare for exciting opportunities. Become a part of the respected Trojan community and expand your knowledge!

Applicants with foreign degrees are eligible and encouraged to apply.

What do I need to apply?

  • CV
  • Letter of Intent
  • 3 Letters of Evaluation from peers, colleagues, or mentors
  • Complete the USC CAS application
    • All documents submitted as part of the application must be in English or be accompanied by certified translation to be considered official
  • Pay the $90.00 application fee
  • Submit official school transcripts
    • Transcripts in original language of issuance: International students who have earned their degree outside the United States must check our country-specific requirements to determine if we need original-language copies of their academic records.
  • TOEFL iBT (with a score of at least 20 in each section). For more information visit the TOEFL website.

Please reach out to a Herman Ostrow representative before starting your application at to double check eligibility to apply. Certain international students already in the United States on specific visas may be ineligible.

Do I need a Visa for the online programs?

Online students may be required to come to campus in the summer. Please check your program information to see if the in-person portion is required. To visit campus for the in-person portion of the program (Bootcamp, practicums or observational visits), international students must follow additional procedures. USC requires an I-20 and student visa for campus visits. A tourist visa is not acceptable for the in-person portion of the program.  A tourist visa is acceptable for graduation.

The Office of International Services (OIS), along with the Office of Graduate Admissions generates I-20’s for all international students. For more information on visa procedures, please visit the pre-arrival and new student sections of the Office of International Services. You can also contact Paul Frellick at

Upon acceptance, information from your application will be used for your summer I-20 student visa. Our office will request the visa on your behalf.

The student visa process varies according to the country in which you reside and/or in whose US Embassy you apply for your visa. It is a good idea to find out what the US student visa application process is in the country where you are applying for the visa interview.

All international students, including Canadians, must visit the OIS office on their first day to complete the PPV (Passport Verification)

Below is a checklist to complete your PPV:


Housing is available for our students during the summer months. Availability changes throughout the year depending on demand. For this reason, please contact Paul Frellick at for specific information regarding housing options.

Health Screening

If your program requires you to visit campus for the in-person portion of the program (Bootcamp, practicums or observational visits), you will need to submit the following health documents:

  1. Results of a physical examination
  2. Entrance Medical Requirements form
  3. Health insurance
  4. Immunizations and Screenings

Please note, the Pain Medicine programs do not require campus visits. Students enrolled in Pain Medicine are not required to submit health documentation. 

HIPPA Policy

Federal regulations, known as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy law, generally prohibit the use and disclosure of health information without written permission from the patient. For more information on HIPPA, visit the USC Office of Compliance.

For any additional questions, please email us